• One 3-4 pound chicken
• 2 1/2 pounds red bliss potatoes
• 1 cup & 3 teaspoons kosher salt
• ½ cup sugar
• 2 quarts cold water
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 pound baby carrots
• 1 recipe Honey-Lemon Butter (recipe follows)
1. Dissolve kosher salt and sugar in a large container with cold water. Immerse chicken into brine solution for 1 hour.
2. Remove chicken from brine and rinse under cold water then pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in the refrigerator uncovered for 8-24 hours.
3. When ready to begin set oven temperature to 500 degrees and adjust rack to the lower middle shelf.
4. Toss potatoes and carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 3 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon pepper. Line bottom of roasting pan with aluminum foil and place potatoes and carrots over foil.
5. Add the broiling rack above vegetables then butterfly chicken by removing the backbone with kitchen shears. Place teaspoon sized pats of Honey-Lemon Butter under the chicken skin and rub around until completely coated. Rub remaining oil and fresh black pepper on the chicken and place chicken on the broiling rack.
6. Roast in oven for 20 minutes then rotate the pan (do not baste the chicken) and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes longer (until the thickest part of the meat reaches 160 degrees)
7. Remove from oven and place the chicken on a cutting board. Move potatoes and carrots to a serving platter. Carve the chicken into pieces and place on serving platter with potatoes and carrots.
• 3 tablespoons softened sweet butter
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.