ORLANDO, Fla. – Today, following the terrorist attack in Orlando this morning, Governor Scott has remained in constant communication with state agency leaders who are working to ensure the state is responding to any needs. Governor Scott is currently in Orlando and has been meeting with federal, state and local officials throughout the day.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
- The State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) in Tallahassee activated to a level 1 at 11:00 AM EST. The SEOC is coordinating efforts with federal, state and local partners to monitor and respond as needed.
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- FDLE is coordinating with the FBI, the Orlando Police Department, and the Orange County Sheriff’s Office on the terrorist attack and ongoing investigation.
- FDLE is assisting the FBI investigating links to terrorism, and the Florida Fusion Center continues to share resources, expertise, and information to better identify, detect, prevent, apprehend and respond to criminal and terrorist activity utilizing an all crimes/all hazards approach.
- FDLE is also leading the officer-involved shooting investigation. All involved officers have been relieved of duties per normal officer-involved shooting procedure.
- FDLE encourages all Floridians and visitors to report suspicious activity. “If You See Something, Say Something™” by calling 1-855-FLA-SAFE or report online at FDLE.State.FL.US.
Florida Department of Health
- The Florida Department of Health has activated the Florida Emergency Mortuary Operations Response System and deployed a 20 person Victim Identification Unit to support the District 9 Medical Examiner’s Office.
- The department is closely monitoring the supply of blood in the area and is in regular contact with OneBlood and other Orlando area blood banks. Blood banks reported that donation centers are overcrowded with willing donors; the blood center is at full capacity and DOH is asking donors to make appointments and to donate later in the week. Residents who are interested in donating blood should schedule an appointment later this week via www.oneblood.org.
- DOH has activated personnel to support the Florida Fusion Center at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
- DOH has established contact with the Florida Crisis Consortia and proactively alerted Disaster Behavioral Health Teams to be on stand-by for future deployments.
Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
- The Orlando Command Center Staff are set up in the parking lot of the Orange Regional Juvenile Detention Center. DJJ staff have redirected center staff and visitors for the day to an alternate access for the center. Command center staff have access to the lobby of the building for use of facilities, should they need them.
Florida Department of Transportation
- The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) remains in constant contact with all local and district partners and stands ready to offer traffic and road closure support if needed.
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles stands ready to assist with traffic and road closure support if needed.
- The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles urges all Floridians to register or update their Emergency Contact Information (ECI). By registering emergency contact information, an individual’s family and loved ones can have peace of mind that law enforcement can reach them in the event of an emergency. Individuals can register or update their ECI here: www.flhsmv.gov/ECI.
Florida Department of Education
- The Orange County Public Schools Headquarters Office will implement heighted security tomorrow and grief counselors will be available if needed. All Orange County Public Schools are currently out for summer break.