FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott released the below update on the state’s response to the attack at the Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Governor Scott is currently in Fort Lauderdale and has been meeting with state and local officials throughout the evening.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
- The State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) is monitoring this incident and will continue to do so 24 hours a day.
- Emergency management personnel will continue providing updates concerning resources available to those affected and coordinating with state and local response agencies to monitor and respond as needed.
- To get the latest updates, briefings, and available resources regarding the attack at the Fort Lauderdale International Airport, please visit www.floridadisaster.org/info.
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is working closely with and supporting the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
- FDLE encourages all Floridians and visitors to report suspicious activity. “If You See Something, Say Something™” by calling 1-855-FLA-SAFE or report online at FDLE.State.FL.US.
Florida Department of Health
- The Florida Department of Health has dispatched a team of grief counselors to the family assistance center to provide trauma and emotional support for victims and their families and loved ones.
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles’ Division of the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) has deployed resources and is currently on scene to assist with traffic control in the surrounding areas.
- All ramps from I-95 to go eastbound on I-595 as well as all eastbound lanes on I-595 from the I-95 overpass are blocked and FHP remains on standby to receive the all clear from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. Once the all clear is signaled, FHP will assist with the significant outflow and inflow of traffic at the airport that is expected.
Florida Department of Transportation
- The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) remains in constant contact with all local and district partners and is providing traffic and road closure support.
- FDOT urges all Fort Lauderdale residents and visitors to monitor local traffic advisories through FL511.com.
- VISIT FLORIDA and Expedia have partnered to identify hotel availability in Fort Lauderdale. They will be monitoring availability all night and will continue to issue updates to ensure accuracy of rooms and rate. Please visit www.expedia.com/florida to find available lodging.
- Airbnb has activated their urgent accommodations in Fort Lauderdale and all service fees will be waived for those affected by the attack. Please visit www.airbnb.com/disaster/ftlauderdale to find available lodging.
Florida Department of Children and Families
- The Florida Department of Children and Families works with a network of service providers throughout the state alongside emergency management teams and law enforcement officers. Henderson Behavioral Health, the local provider in Fort Lauderdale, has reached out to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and remains on standby to provide services as needed.