Florida Youth Commission
We, the Youth Commissioners of Florida, desire to produce a cohesive and unified platform for the students of Florida to voice their concerns and provide feedback and suggestions to the leadership of Florida. We will serve as a liaison between the youth of Florida and the Florida Children and Youth Cabinet through inclusion and engagement of our peers to craft effective suggestions, legislation, and projects to aide in the progression of youth across Florida.
The Florida Youth Commission is comprised of youth leaders statewide who advise the Florida Children and Youth Cabinet of key issues facing Florida’s next generation. If you are a youth leader in your community and have ideas, and suggestions on ways to engage and assist youth, the Florida Youth Commission is for you!
Apply here for the 2015-2016 term!
What is the eligibility?
- Must be a Florida resident.
- Must be an upcoming Sophomore or Junior at a high school (or equivalent) in Florida.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (GPA).
- Must have access to the internet.
The Florida Youth Commission was founded in 2011 by the Children’s Week Foundation. In January 2014, the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice became the managers of the Commission.
- Strive to be the voice of youth around the state
- Advise Florida’s Children’s and Youth Cabinet on issues important to Florida’s youth
- Develop initiatives and legislation suggestions that aid in the progression of Florida’s youth
- Foster the engagement of Florida’s youth in state government and the projects and initiatives of the Youth Commission
If you have a question, suggestion, or would like more information about the Youth Commission, please e-mail FloridaYouthCommission@djj.state.fl.us or call (850) 717-2700.