Governor’s Wellness Challenge 2012 Supported by UnitedHealth Group
• To recognize schools making a positive difference in the lives of Florida’s students by promoting fitness, wellness, and a healthier lifestyle.
• To highlight Physical Education Teachers of Excellence.
• All public and private schools in Florida are eligible. The contest will be divided into three categories: elementary, middle, and high schools.
• Schools are invited to submit a DVD no longer than 10 minutes which highlights how their school is promoting fitness, wellness, and a healthier lifestyle. The DVD should include examples of the following:
1. Promotion of fitness, wellness, and a healthier lifestyle which includes all populations, including students with disabilities where applicable.
2. Demonstration of best practices in physical education and nutrition.
3. Promotion of fitness, wellness, and a healthier lifestyle both with and without fitness equipment through indoor and outdoor activities.
4. Promotion of fitness, wellness, and a healthier lifestyle both during school and within the community (e.g., host a Health and Wellness Fair, promotion of opportunities available through the local Parks and Recreation Department).
Also to be included along with the DVD:
5. A completed media release form for participating students if they appear in a video.
6. A Waiver form signed by the school’s principal.
Prizes for Winning Schools:
• Two winning elementary (grades K-5), two middle (grades 6-8), and two high (grades 9-12) schools will be selected by a panel of school district representatives and wellness advocates throughout the state.
• Winning schools will receive $2,500 to purchase fitness equipment for their school.
• All full-time physical education teachers in a public or private elementary, middle or high school are eligible.
• In 250 words or less, explain why you think the nominated physical educator should receive the Physical Education Teacher of Excellence Award.
• Nominations may be submitted by a principal, teacher, parent/guardian, or student on the form provided.
• Physical education teachers who are nominated will be asked to submit additional documentation to the selection panel (e.g., yearly scope and sequence, resume and/or curriculum vita).
Prizes for Winning Teachers:
• One teacher in each category – elementary (grades K-5), middle (grades 6-8), and high (grades 9-12) – will be selected to receive a $1,500 prize.
• DVD submissions and Teacher of Excellence nominations must be received at the address below by 5 p.m. EDT on March 15, 2012.
• Winners will be announced in May 2012.
• Mail school DVD submissions and teacher nominations to:
Governor’s Wellness Challenge
111 N. Gadsden Street, Suite 100
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Recognition for Winners:
• Winning schools and teachers will be invited to attend a ceremony with
Governor and First Lady Scott in the spring of 2012.